Visiting the Gardens at Tudor Place
Located in the heart of Georgetown, Washington, DC, the gardens at Tudor Place cover more than five acres surrounding the original Federal-style mansion built in 1805 by Martha Washington’s granddaughter, Martha Custis Peter, and her husband, Thomas Peter. Six generations of the Peter family owned this National Historic Landmark, which opened to the public in 1988 and is operated by the Tudor Place Foundation.
Special Garden Features at Tudor Place
- Flower knot garden, which remains true to its original layout while being updated to incorporate more sustainable plants and planting methods.
- A 200-year-old Tulip Poplar, more than 100 feet tall.
- Extensive collection of boxwoods, including some of the estate’s original English Boxwood (Buxus sempervirens ‘Suffruticosa’).
- Rose arbor, featuring yellow roses and coral honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens).
- Japanese tea house
1644 31st Street NW, Washington DC 20007