Visiting the Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens
Located in Schenley Park in the Oakland neighborhood of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, the Phipps Conservatory was donated by Henry Phipps to the city in 1893 and first used it to house tropical plants from the World’s Columbian Exposition in Chicago after the Exposition closed. Since then, the gardens expanded and today include the Center for Sustainable Landscapes, a self-sustaining green structure used for research, education and administration.
Special Features at the Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens
- Demonstrations for sustainable perennial beds.
- Outdoor gardens consisting of smaller gardens and plant collections, such as dwarf conifers, medicinal plants, herbs, ferns and perennials.
- Tropical forest conservatory, using the latest in green technology for heating and cooling.
- Conservatory featuring the Palm Court, Orchid Room and Desert Room.
One Schenley Park, Pittsburgh, PA 15213