Photo Copyright: Dr. Leonard Perry, University of Vermont
Visiting the Gibraltar Gardens
Gibraltar is a 6.1-acre estate owned by Hugh Rodney Sharp (1880 – 1968) and his wife, Isabella Mathieu du Pont Sharp (1882 – 1946), with formal gardens consisting of garden “rooms” designed by American landscape architect Marian Cruger Coffin. The gardens of Gibraltar opened to the public in 1997.
Special features of the Gibraltar Gardens
- Approximately two acres of gardens, constructed as terraces descending a slope from the house with informal English garden-styled plantings.
- Exceptional garden objects, including gates, urns, fountains and statues, which often serve as focal points in garden spaces.
- Evergreen terrace, pool terrace, and a flower garden.
- 200-foot Bald Cypress allee.
1405 Greenhill Ave, Wilmington, DE 19806