Published: February 14, 2016; Updated December 5, 2016
Welcome to Mid-Atlantic Gardener®! The Mid-Atlantic Gardener website, social media outlets (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest) and newsletter are where our readers learn about upcoming gardening events in the Mid-Atlantic region and gardening resources that are specific to the needs and interests of residential gardeners and professionals in the Mid-Atlantic region.
We encourage users to post comments, exchange information with us and with one another and share their gardening experiences and ideas and we expect that remarks will be on-topic and respectful of the rights and opinions of others.
We also encourage readers to suggest gardening events, gardens to visit and science-based gardening information – especially information pertaining to sustainable landscape management practices – that we should post to our site (free of charge for nonprofit organizations) as a means of helping them promote their activities and educating the public.
Please read the following Terms and Conditions before using and/or submitting content to our site and/or our social media outlets. By continuing to use us, or by submitting content for publication on Mid-Atlantic Gardener and/or its social media outlets, you agree to abide, and that you are bound, by the Terms and Conditions below. We reserve the right to change these Terms and Conditions at any time, and you agree (including by virtue of your continued use of our site) to be bound by any such changes. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any new features or functionality (e.g., video and audio, altogether new technologies) that augment or enhance our site shall be subject to these Terms and Conditions.
1. Trademark. Mid-Atlantic Gardener is a registered mark with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
2. Before submitting content to our site and/or social media outlets, you agree to not:
- Post material that is racist, sexist, abusive, profane, hateful, violent, obscene, pornographic and/or disparaging to any minority group based on ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, sexual identity, or disabilities.
- Post anything that advocates illegal activity.
- Post material that contains falsehoods.
- Post material that is not based on current scientific knowledge about gardening.
- Post material that is off-topic (not relating to Mid-Atlantic Gardener and/or its constituents).
- Post material selling and/or promoting products and/or commercial services or ventures.
- Post self-promotional material for an individual or business.
- Post material that advocates for anything political (e.g., candidates, initiatives, campaigns) or encourages individuals to protest or contest a decision made by any local, state, county or federal government agency.
- Libel, incite, threaten or make ad hominem attacks on Mid-Atlantic Gardener, its staff and/or its readers and subscribers.
- Post material from impersonated profiles.
Additionally, all content and posts are also bound by the Terms and Community Guidelines for each service provider, including but not limited to:
- Facebook “Statement of Rights and Responsibilities”
- Twitter “Terms of Service”
- YouTube “Terms of Service and Community Guidelines”
- Vimeo “Terms of Service”
- Flickr “Terms of Service and Community Guidelines”
- Picasa “Terms of Service”
- Pinterest “Terms of Service”
- Instagram “Terms of Service”
2. Mid-Atlantic Gardener has all rights in our site and content.
Our site (including all text, photographs, images, button text, video and audio content contained on our site) is protected by copyright as a collective work or compilation under the copyright laws of the United States and other countries, and we have all rights therein. All individual articles, blogs, videos, content and other elements comprising our site are also copyrighted works, and we have all rights therein. You must abide by all additional copyright notices or restrictions contained on our site.
3. Reprint and reuse permission.
We regularly grant limited reprint or reuse permission for our content if the use is educational (e.g., students, teachers, instructors, community volunteers); personal (noncommercial), or for the media, and the use includes credits and attributions. Please Contact Us to make a request.
4. Submitting content to our site.
By submitting content on or to our site and/or our social media outlets, you are giving us the right to display or publish such content on our site and its affiliated publications and social media outlets (either in the form submitted or in the form of a derivative or adapted work), to store such content, and to distribute such content and use such content for promotional and marketing purposes. Unless otherwise stated, you shall have no rights with respect to the content posted or submitted and we or our licensees shall be free to display and publish it (in its entirety or in a re-edited, derived or modified form) for any period.
You are solely responsible for your own submissions (including content, photographs, images and audio and video) and the consequences of posting or publishing them. You affirm, represent, and/or warrant that you own or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents and permissions to use and authorize us to use all patent, trademark, copyright or other proprietary rights in and to any and all such submissions. Additionally, you affirm that you have the written consent, permission, and/or release of each and every identifiable individual person in such submissions to use the name or likeness of each and every such identifiable individual person to enable inclusion and use of such submissions in the manner contemplated by us and these Terms and Conditions.
5. Mid-Atlantic Gardener reserves the right to do any or all of the following:
- Remove posts, submissions and/or communications that violate these Terms and Conditions.
- Remove any communications posted regardless of whether such communications violate these standards.
- Ban future posts from people or block people who violate these Terms and Conditions.
- Terminate your access to our site for any reason, and to take any other actions that Mid-Atlantic Gardener believes to be in the interest of our company and of our readers, subscribers, contractors, advertisers, sponsors and other interested parties.
- Remove capability from the public to post or comment on Mid-Atlantic Gardener’s official sites.
6. Posted comments and images do not necessarily represent the views of Mid-Atlantic Gardener.
If you have any questions or concerns about our policy or about the content posted on our website or on one of our social media outlets, please Contact Us.
7. Our right to modify or discontinue our site.
We reserve the right at any time to modify, suspend or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, our site (or any part thereof) with or without notice. You agree that Mid-Atlantic Gardener shall not be liable to you or any third party for any such modification, suspension or discontinuance of our site.
8. We are not responsible for the availability or content of other services that may be linked to our site.
9. Our liability to you is limited.
Mid-Atlantic Gardener and its employees, contractors and other interested parties are not liable for incidental, indirect, consequential, special, punitive or exemplary damages of any kind, including, without limitation, loss of business, loss of data and/or lost revenues or profits, in any way related to this site or our social media outlets or for any claim, loss or injury based on errors, omissions, interruptions or inaccuracies in our site.
10. Any dispute between us will be governed by the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Thank you for using Mid-Atlantic Gardener. Please Contact Us with any suggestions or feedback on ways we could enhance your use of our site.